Find what you're looking for

Monday 5 March 2012

Interview #5: Elyse Glynn

And, once again, we have another interview happening. This time, it's the good friend of mine from over at: http://aussieatwcu.blogspot.com.au/ Some pretty cool stuff there, definitely worth a check :)


For those who don't know you, who are you/what do you do?
okay, My name is Elyse Glynn. I'm currently studying a communications degree at UTS, majoring in film. I play the cello and I've just made a switch from netball to basketball. So we'll see how that pans out!

You've been to two other countries (that I know of) that are both very different, both from each other and here - what was that like?
Well, Holland was completely different to my America experience because I was only 15 at the time and I had to live with a family. Here in Aus I live with 2 sisters. My Dutch family had 5 boys and they lived on a remote dairy farm in the middle of nowhere. I had to ride my bike 7km to school each day, and I didn't speak a word of Dutch.
So, it was a great learning experience but I was very, very homesick. I look back on those 3 months now as a time when I had to develop a lot of the mental toughness I enjoy now.
America on the other hand was the easiest, most fun, best experience of my life. I went for 8 weeks in 2010 to work on a summer camp, and then returned in 2011 for a 6 month stay, to work on the camp again and then study in North Carolina. I just...gaaaaah. Can't even describe. if you ever get the chance to do uni exchange just....just do it. Don't question it. Just GO. (If nothing else because you'll be treated like a GOD because of your accent)

What's the next place you'd think of going, and why? Or do you just want to stick around for a while?

Haha. I've just got wanderlust it seems. I'm heading back to the U.S this year in June for 3 weeks to see my boyfriend. Then I'm flying to England to visit some of the international friends I made in North Carolina, then to Holland to visit my host family again, and then to Serbia to visit my Grandmother's home village.
So...not really looking at setting down JUUUUUST yet :P

Jealousy doesn't even....gahhhhhh.

What are you doing with yourself at uni, and how'd you get into that?
I kinda answered this? I'm studying film. Not sure if that's the direction I still want to head in. I'm getting really interested in doing an international studies subject (is ANYONE surprised? haha) Nope.
Anyway, I'll just see what happens with that.

What made you decide to start writing a blog?
Inspired while I was away as a way of keeping in contact with my friends, but also just because so many funny things happened to me while I was away (or aggravating things, but telling it as a funny story is a GREAT coping mechanism). Very true. The cartoons though were inspired by the blog Hyperbole and a Half. She is ridiculously funny. I can never compete. But don't read her blog. read mine!! :)

How epic was the Humans vs Zombies game, and have you thought of starting it up at your uni?
The HvZ game is just.
gaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh. THE BEST THING IN THE WORLD.
Like, it's an absolute nerdfest. An epic, week long game of tag where humans are identified by a bandana tied to their leg or arm and the zombies wear it on their head. Read my blog for full details. We were given missions to complete, had to starve in our rooms for fear of being 'eaten' if we left... It was a week of complete and utter paranoia. Zombies would literally stalk out all the exits to the classrooms you were in and camp there in the rain waiting for hours...anyway.
I can't start up my own because I don't live on campus at UTS. I guess I could do it, but it would be more of like an afternoon game of tag.
*anticlimax*

And, I believe from memory that you were one of the few human survivors. Good job! :)

Lastly - why the handdrawn pictures (on your blog posts)?
I feel they help with communicating either the emotion or the absurdity of the situation I've gotten myself into. Also, they're just so plain bad that they stop anyone from taking my ranting too seriously.
:)

I'll go with both emotion and absurdity, myself. And they're not bad - they're amusing :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)